Friday, December 31, 2010

Gifts for Christmas that really got done!

This Christmas horse quilt was made at the request of my youngest granddaughter, Allie. She had seen one on my website which was made by one of my customers and really wanted one just like it, so I found the panels and made one for her for Christmas.
The center of the quilt.
Part of the center panel.
A border showing the horse shoes and horses in the quilting pattern. Quilted with Fox thread.
Backing of the horse quilt.

I found the pattern called Smitten with Mittens and was on the verge of making it, as it has little snowmen coming out of the cuffs of the mittens, but then I decided to put my grand cats in the mittens instead. I hand button hole stitched the mittens down with wool thread and machine appliqued the cat's heads with invisible thread (don't look too closely), and renamed the quilt, Smitten with Kittens. My daughter thought it was a good idea, too!

Bolt

Thunder
Noah

Harley
Backing to the Smitten with Kittens quilt.

I wasn't really looking for any cat fabric, but this Debbie Mumm piece of fleece was on a huge sale and I knew my daughter would just need (ha) another quilt with cats associated with it, so I bought 2 1/2 yards, put in warm and natural batting and that flannel backing, bound it with the flannel stripe and it is so warm and snugly that the 4 quilt magnets (her cats) approved of it immediately as did my daughter. I just did a simple meander with an off white thread and now I'm on a mission with this nice soft fleece. No piecing, no measuring, just load it and quilt it and bind it and there you go!


Notice how the backing matches the border stripes on this fleece? It was calling my name!
I've had this piece of flannel for years and was just waiting for the right quilt to use it up and I found it! Soft, soft , soft......

No, this is not me, it's Harry, but I felt like this the entire last week so the reason of late posting of so many quilts! Next week should be better!


No comments: