Friday, May 21, 2010

Does Anyone remember the groovy 70's????

Way back in the 70's and late 60's I had a huge family of these fun plants. I had heard that they were a type of kalanchoe but never had the common name. We moved, and somehow the plants disappeared. Since those days, I have been hunting for these plants in all nurseries around, asking for the plants that had their babies grow on the leaves. The babies will drop to the soil and form another plant, how cool is that? But nobody seemed to understand what plant I was looking for, until a walk through a nursery the other day and to my surprise, there they were, sitting all nice in a row just waiting for me! I found the man who knew all about the plants and they are called "Mother of a Thousand" because as you can see, they form babies all along their leaves and drop them and produce over and over again. I was so excited (doesn't take much!) that I took them home and set them on my windowsill. It has me thinking that I should go look for my macrame plant hanging patterns! Where did I put my twine? How groovy is that?????
The happy families are together again.

The little babies are grown along the leaves.


No comments: